Update to train derailment in DuPont Washington
- National Transporation Safety Board is taking control of investigation ( 8 p.m. update)
- 3 confirmed fatalities at crash site.
- 19 people transported from the scene uninjured to the reunification center.
- 72 evaluated and transported
- 10 patients in serious condition, 4 had moderate injuries, and 9 had minor injuries
- 1 of the 10 was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center (8 p.m. update)
- 86 total people on train (8 p.m. update Amtrak)
- The train consisted of 12 cars and 2 locomotives. One locomotive remained on the tracks and all other cars were derailed. ( 8 p.m. update Amtrak)
- Washington Department of Ecology is evaluating an approximately 350 gallon fuel spill that came from the power car. (8 p.m. update)
- 5 motor vehicles on freeway and 2 semi-trucks hit by train below.
- All I-5 southbound lanes at DuPont closed until further notice. Assume lanes will be closed through the morning commute on Tuesday December 19.
6 p.m. WSDOT UPDATE: I-5 Center Drive detour not recommended for commercial vehicles
FREIGHT TRAVEL ALERT – SOUTHBOUND I-5 CLOSED IN DUPONT
LOCATION: Southbound I-5 at Mounts Road (milepost 116).
DETAILS: All travelers are advised to avoid southbound I-5 south of Tacoma. A train derailment has closed all lanes of southbound I-5 at Mounts Road near the Pierce-Thurston County line. Southbound I-5 will remain closed for an extended period of time. We strongly encourage travelers to use alternate routes until at least tomorrow morning.
Alternate routes to southbound I-5:
- Southbound I-5 traffic is being detoured at Center Drive. Traffic will drive through Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) to State Route 510.
- Use State Route 16 to State Route 3. From there, use US 101 to get back to I-5 near Tumwater.
We’re already seeing significant congestion on State Route 507 and State Route 7, and do not recommend motorists take State Route 302.
Northbound I-5 traffic is encouraged to stay on northbound I-5 and not exit at Center Drive.
For the latest detour information, continually check the Washington State Patrol blog.
6 p.m. Update from JBLM: I-5 South Detour: USE EXIT 118-NOT 119 You will cross the overpass over I-5, go through the Center Dr. Gate onto JBLM, turn right on Perimeter Rd., and then be directed I-5 Southbound Detour: DON’T use 119 and try to enter JBLM through the DuPont Gate, you will be turned around.
Northbound traffic is encouraged to stay on northbound I-5 and not exit at Center Drive to allow for southbound traffic to detour around the I-5 freeway closure.
If possible, avoid both southbound and northbound I-5 near DuPont for the rest of today and for the morning commute on Tuesday December 19..
The incident occurred at 7:38 a.m. on Monday December 18, according to Washington State Department of Transportation.
The Washington State Patrol Criminal Investigation Detectives are documenting evidence at the scene including using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to take photos of the crash site. Detectives also interviewed witnesses in order to assist the National Traffic Safety Board investigators.